Thursday, July 19, 2012

A New App and a New Recipe

I went to an iPAD in the classroom workshop today and made an AMAZING discovery. The class was obviously to help with using the iPAD at school, but we got off on sharing favorite apps and someone mentioned "Food on the Table". I had never heard of this app, but decided to see what it was all about! You have to get it right now! It is an amazing resource that links you with your nearest grocery store, connects the foods you like, aligns those foods with the sales going on this week, supplies you with recipes that include your favorite foods and sale items, AND makes a grocery list for you! Talk about a life saver! The cool thing about the recipes is that they only use 4-5 ingredients that are very common. 


After finding this app, I had planned to make a Mexican Stuffed Chicken Breast dinner, but was going to have to pick up a few items that we were out of. I got to thinking about the recipe and how I could adjust it using things I already had {I'm constantly trying to be thrifty!}. So, using the recipe I found on the Food on the Table app, I created my own recipe! Of course, it took a little thinking because of the picky eater who lives in my house. Luckily, he loved it! And when he loved it, I knew I had to share with all of you!

Italian Stuffed Chicken Breast Dinner

\
Ingredients:
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup Butter, divided
1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Italian Bread Crumbs (or regular bread crumbs)
2 Tablespoons of Zesty Italian Dressing Mix
1 Jar or Prego Spaghetti Sauce
Your Choice of Noodles

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 glass dish with Pam cooking spray.

2. Cut fat pieces off of chicken. You don't have to do this, but I don't like to eat the fatty pieces, so I always trim them off.

3. If you are using large chicken breasts, I would cut them in half. Then, use a meat tenderizer and pound the meat until flattened.


4. Melt half of the butter in a small bowl. Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese to the butter and stir together.

5. Place a spoonful of the cheese-butter mixture at the end of each piece of chicken. How much you put is really up to you!

5. Roll the chicken pieces up, tucking the cheese-butter mixture in as you go. Place the rolled up chicken pieces in your glass dish. I placed mine close together so that they would hold each other together.

6. Melt the other half of the butter in a small bowl. Add bread crumbs and zesty italian dressing mix. Stir together. Spread this mixture over the top of each chicken roll. I had to use my fingers to make sure it covered the entire top of each piece, but what's cooking if you don't get a little messy???

7. Poor jar of Prego spaghetti sauce around chicken breasts. Place a few spoonfuls of sauce on each breasts.


8. Top with parmesan cheese and stick it in the oven for one hour!



9. When there is about 15 minutes left for the chicken, boil your chosen type of noodles. I used wheat rigatoni noodles tonight, but any kind will work!

10. When the noodles have cooked and been drained, add a tablespoon of butter and several tablespoons of shredded parmesan noodles.





I was so excited that the first recipe I ever created turned out as a success! Hope you enjoy! :)


2 comments:

  1. Don't think the app would work here but I am definitely going to try the recipe! Looks yummy!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that app and LOVE it!! One of my favorite recipes is Crunchy Baked Chicken Tenders. I'll have to share it :)

    ReplyDelete